What Field of Mechanical Engineering Should I Invest my Knowledge to?

 


Mechanical Engineering offers a wide selection of fields to learn from. It is one of the most comprehensive and flexible of all the engineering professions in the world. Your career opportunities when you choose the path of mechanical engineering will be endless, especially today when engineers are in demand in the market because of the continuous development of technologies, infrastructures, and many more. For this blog post, I will be sharing with you the top three fields of Mechanical Engineering in that I want to invest my knowledge to. I will be discussing with you its specifications, advantages, disadvantages, and possible career opportunities if you wish to pursue this field. 


First on the list is Aerospace Engineering. What is
aerospace engineering
?  It is the primary field of engineering concerned with the design, development, testing, and production of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems and equipment (Penn State Engineering: What Is Aerospace Engineering?, n.d.). Its pros are the following: good pay, playing a critical role in developing aircraft, and an in-demand job. On the other hand, its cons are the following: workload, location of your work, and prone to stagnation (pandemic and calamities). My reason for choosing this field is that I've always been fond of spaceships and airplanes. I've been fascinated by how people managed to invent a vehicle that could transport on air and in space. I wanted to be one of the engineers whose craft is to build aircraft and spacecraft. Aside from this, I've also considered its demand in the market and according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2022, its employment is expected to increase to as high as 6 percent in the next decade.  Overall, this is a logical choice for me to pursue since apart from its good pay and career opportunities, it's what I love and if you love what you do, you'll never get tired of it.


Next up is Plant and Engineering Maintenance. They are the ones responsible for handling the electrical and mechanical systems of a manufacturing plant (What Does a Plant Engineer Do? Role & Responsibilities, n.d.). They improve, upgrade, and repair the technologies needed for the manufacturing plant to function well. According to my research, some of its advantages are it provides good pay for engineers, has a good work environment in terms of colleagues, and how different manufacturing plants prioritize their employees. Contrastingly, there are strict rules to be followed in a power plant, and one simple mistake could lead to your termination. You usually also have to wear safety equipment Flame Resistant Clothing (FRC) for example which is not comfortable to wear. Above all this, this became one of my options because of its complexity and uniqueness. This field was not even on my list in the first place, but when we started to discuss the different fields of mechanical engineering, it sparked my interest. Its value in the manufacturing industries and the government makes the job very in demand which makes it easy to find work related to this field.


Last, but not least, Automotive - Manufacturing Engineering. They are the engineers responsible for the design, manufacture, distribution, marketing, sales, and after-sales of automotive products (Automotive Engineer: Job Description, 2021). Every car that you see on the road, it's been made by an automotive engineer. Similar to my 2 options,  it also offers a wide scope of career options, and it brings out the creative minds of engineers. On the contrary, it's a fast-paced industry wherein there's no room for error. A delay in the manufacturing process could destroy the supply chain of production. I choose this field because of my interest in cars. I see them every day and I wonder how it's made and the components of the vehicle that makes them work. It may be a fast paced industry, but I know that I could keep up to the challenges and tasks that will be given to me if ever I choose to continue this field.

REFERENCES:

  • Aerospace Engineers : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2022, September 8). Retrieved October 2, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/aerospace-engineers.htm#:%7E:text=Employment%20of%20aerospace%20engineers%20is,on%20average%2C%20over%20the%20decade.

  • Penn State Engineering: What is Aerospace Engineering? (n.d.). Retrieved October 2, 2022, from https://www.aero.psu.edu/academics/undergraduate/what-is-aerospace-engineering.aspx

  • What does a Plant Engineer do? Role & Responsibilities. (n.d.). Glassdoor. Retrieved October 2, 2022, from https://www.glassdoor.com/Career/plant-engineer-career_KO0,14.htm#:%7E:text=Plant%20engineers%20oversee%20the%20electrical,reduce%20manufacturing%20issues%20including%20bottlenecks.

  • Automotive engineer: job description. (2021, December 15). Targetjobs. Retrieved October 2, 2022, from https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/job-descriptions/automotive-engineer-job-description




Comments

Popular Posts